Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The anti-climatic end of my penultimate semester.

Last night as I entered the exam with 15 minutes before the exam began, my nerves were calm.  I usually show up and set up my computer half and hour to an hour before the exam but this time I wandered the halls with my buddies and we laughed and joked about how or final exam was to "write a judicial opinion;" how hard could that be? 
My legislation class ended with a final exam based off the Speluncean Explores hypothetical.  Long story short four guys go into a cave and get trapped, three come out after having a friend for dinner.  These guys were charged with murder and the five justices could not reach a verdict.  Our part was to write in as the 6th judge to break the tie.  My opinion was to affirm the sentence and the poor men were to be hanged.  (got to follow the law).  The test was not easy and backing up my argument with proper legal analysis proved challenging, but that's best part of law school exams. 
After the test it's over to Wine Thief with the creater of the test and my buddies to discuss politics, women, drinks, law, women, jokes, rumors, and women.  It was the end of my last REAL semester (summer school doesn't really count.) We enjoyed the "hurricane" that passed by and each other's company.

After the first year, law school loses it's luster and it's just school from there on out.  You no longer feel (or pretend to be) smarter than those around you that are NOT in law school and you look at the new 1Ls as bright-eyed children full of the majesty of the law.  While I still enjoy law school, this last semester was more enjoyable because I didn't worry about my ranking or my GPA (both are pretty much set in stone).  I would have worried if I were at the tip-top of the class, but luckily I'm not and could focus my attention on helping others get the most out of law school. 
Though the end of the semester was anti-climatic I enjoyed the semester.
Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment