Monday, June 20, 2011

My Trip to Six Flags Over Texas

Last Friday, the building I work out of was closed for some reason or another.  Having the day off and not having anything really to do I treated myself to an afternoon of thrill rides at Six Flags Over Texas.
The climb
I could not remember the last time I went to Six Flags, some things change yet some things stay the same.

They recently "updated" the Texas Giant thus prompting my motivation to go.   I loved the Giant ever since I first rode it.  Many would complain about the roaring headache this wooden beast would give its riders but for me I found it pure excitement.



While waiting for in the line the anticipation of riding this incredible feat of modern engineering what I couldn't get over was how quiet the roller coaster actually is.  The rattle and squeaks that came from the old Giant were replaced by a slight whisper from the rails and fearful screams from the riders. 
From wood to steel

When I saw the 79• drop I knew I was in for some fun.  I was not disappointed.


The anticipation is palpable

The 79• DROP!



















This drop started the show and the thrills continued the entire ride.  Where some rides slow down in the middle (to keep us passengers from flying off) this Giant pauses long enough to inhale before it takes your breath away again through it's high angle turns and plenty of "hang time".
Coming out of a high angled turn





"Adios"


The update created an extremely fast and exciting ride that glides like a skater over ice (yes it's that smooth).  

As I rode roller coasters a scene from "Parenthood" came to mind.  An old lady described how some people love the Merry-go-round and others loved roller coasters.  (metaphors for life)  Where the merry-go-round is fun but it's safe and not exciting. The roller coaster will surprise and excite you and is not as safe.

I came up with this metaphor while walking in the park:  We live our lives normally waiting/planning/working toward goals  (ie we wait in line).   As this line progresses we see alternatives to these goals but the steadfast will remain (deciding to skip this ride and try again later or carry forward).  Once the goal is in sight we can either choose to take a small reward or put forth the effort and strive for something better. (do we ride the middle now or wait for the front?)
High Angled Turn
The ride itself begins with the climb.  We wait, we anticipate, we regret, we have anxiety build, but there's nothing we can do at this point.

The drop is what happens to us some idle Thursday at 1:37pm when we discover our well-laid plans go wrong and we scramble to get back.  The stress that we face and hardships we endure are all part of our ride.  WE have the choice to either fight the ride, (we'll end up w/ a headache) or raise our hands and realize our path is set and enjoy it as much as we can.

'57 Bel Air Converted train

No comments:

Post a Comment